Pet Safety Around The Home During Christmas

After This Post, Check out These Other Posts

Boxer vs. iPad

Blind & Happy

Boxers Are The Best Helpers And Yoga Experts

Breed All About It: Boxers

Ever Seen a Boxer Dog Paramedic?

Having a Boxer Can Change Your Life

Mom Wants to Take A Selfie with her Boxer

Tuukka The Boxer Swimming

Willow & Ella

Tiny Dog & Big Dogs

Boxers Will Be Boxers

Bently’s First Year of Life

Christmas season could be an unusual time for your dogs.

Their usual home environment is packed with trees, flowers and various other decorations and there are strange sounds like crackers and fireworks. Your daily routine is most likely to alter and there might be not familiar visitors visiting the house.

We have attempted to provide you a handful of the most frequent Christmas dangers throughout the home for your dog below. It goes without saying, when in doubt concerning your pet’s health get in touch with your vet and they will be in a position to support you.

Food hazards

Chocolate, onions, nuts, blue cheese, fruit cakes, puddings and mince pies could all be toxic to canines. Look out for turkey bones since these may cause choking, constipation or harm your dog’s intestines.

Christmas trees

Most species are low toxicity however they might lead to a mild gastrointestinal upset (vomiting and/or diarrhea) if chewed. Pine needles may get stuck in paws and result in irritation as well as most likely leading to irritation or perforation of the intestines if ingested. Vacuum daily and preferably keep lots of water in the bucket to help reduce the number of fallen needles.

Decorations

Christmas decorations are created to look appealing and beautiful, sadly this generally signifies they are as well attractive to your pets. Although not usually toxic in their own right they could also result in considerable problems if taken in. Baubles will tend to splinter or smash into shards which may trigger irritation, perforation or blockages and dogs tend to eat tinsel a little like spaghetti – often consuming an entire ribbon of tinsel in one go!

Your dog might as well get an awful shock if they chew through the electrical cable for your Christmas lights!

Holly, mistletoe and poinsettia

All of these attractive sorts of festive foliage are slightly toxic if consumed and may induce vomiting, drooling, diarrhea to name a few, therefore need to be avoided or kept well out of reach.

Batteries

Ingestion of batteries is more prevalent at this time of year. In case the battery is chewed and pierced it may result in chemical burns and heavy metal poisoning. In case they are swallowed whole it’s possible they will result in an obstruction. All batteries are potentially toxic thus if you think your dog has chewed or swallowed a battery talk to your local veterinarian.

Presents

One area where people can come unstuck is with Christmas presents. We put plenty of effort in hiding away probable issues but then wrap up auntie Flo’s big box of chocolates to put underneath the tree. Even though we can no longer tell what it is… our dogs can! Besides the irritation of having them unwrap another person’s present and having diarrhea in the living room on Christmas day, there is probably to be an emergency trip to the vets required. Ensure any yummy or luring presents are positioned high enough out of the way so that your dog can’t help themselves.

Antifreeze

Ethylene glycol (anti freeze) intake is extremely dangerous. It’s sweet-tasting and quite palatable. Actually a fairly small quantity may result in severe kidney damage and can be deadly. Regrettably, the longer the delay between ingestion of the anti freeze and initiation of treatment the less favorable the prognosis.

But Christmas with Boxers can also be very funny… Nothing gets the drool pouring from Brock’s cheeks like the smell of Christmas cookies… and the taste of candy canes. He’ll do ANYTHING to get a bite. Watch Brock use his sneak tactics to reach his ultimate goal:

Source: vets-now.com