Quite a few dogs really like to play tug of war – it’s a proper exhibit of their predatory nature.
There has been quite a few debate about tug of war and dogs. A few feel the game leads to aggressive behavior and dominance. Nevertheless, the tug of war is really mental and physical workout for your dog. It’s likewise an excellent manner to strengthen the human-canine relationship. The most significant point to keep in mind is that there are guidelines that should be adopted to retain the game from going over the top.
1. Before you start playing tug of war with your dog, you ought to teach a release command, such as drop it. This is going to help you cease the game if needed.
2. Pick a dog toy that is created for tugging. The toy should be long lasting and flexible. The best tug toys are usually made from rubber or an identical material and have a comfy handle that maintains your hand far from the dog’s mouth. Here are 2 great choices:
- Kong Tug
- Orbee-Tuff Tug
3. Play in a large area without distractions, clutter or hazardous objects. Outside the house is great, however the great thing about tug of war is that it may be safely played inside your home in case you have a bit of space. Ensure there’s room for you both to move about and that there’s absolutely nothing in the way should one of you back up.
4. Whilst playing tug of war, your dog may get thrilled and commence growling. This is normal, as the game itself is predatory behavior. Nevertheless, it’s essential to retain your dog from getting excessively excited. A low mild growl with tail still wagging is most likely okay, however something more justifies a rest. Or, in case you’re uncertain at any point, take a break.
5. To take a break, stop tugging and make use of the release command. Take Half a minute or so to go through basic commands such as sit and down. As soon as your dog appears more calm, the game may well resume.
6. In case your dog’s teeth come into contact with you at any point, play need to stop right away. Let out a yelp, say “drop it,” then take the toy and leave for Half a minute. In case your dog looks fairly calm, you can go through the break with commands, then start the game once again. In case your dog makes the exact same mistake 2 or 3 times, tug of war ought to be ended for the day. This is simply to remind your dog to be extra cautious with her teeth. It’s probable that teeth may graze you every now and then as a result of the nature of the game, however the moment your dog is aware of the rules, she will be a lot more careful.
7. When playing tug of war, it’s alright to allow your dog win! This builds her confidence and rewards her. But, if she misbehaves, you ought to be the one who finishes with the toy.
8. Two dogs can play tug of war with each other – in case they go along on a regular basis. The game have to be monitored and the exact same rules apply. This will help keep it from getting beyond control.
Playing tug of war with your dog could be a quite gratifying experience. It’s mentally and physically stimulating for your dog, and quite good exercise for you, as well. Have a great time and be safe!
Here’s an awesome video where Duncan, the Two Legged Boxer Puppy wrestles, plays tug o’ war and as you can see, behaves just like any other 17 week old puppy: