This story took place in 2011.
A Georgia man was saved from a house fire thanks to his Boxer dog, Duncan, who couldn’t survive the flames.
Still hoarse from smoke inhalation, Scott Dunn of Marietta, GA, says he is heartbroken after losing his much loved pup. “He was the most lovable-just a wonderful dog,” mentioned Dunn. “Every time I saw him, it was like I hadn’t seen him in years.”
Dunn was asleep when he woke at about 3 in the morning to come across smoke “down to the floor” in his home.
It was Duncan, a 3-year-old boxer, who woke him in time. “He was just pawing at me. I thought he was trying to go out,” remembered Dunn.
Dunn says he snapped up his keys and Duncan by his collar as he tried to leave the house to get to his car. “The minute I opened the door, it was like the house exploded,” explained Dunn. “The flames went from one end of the house to the other.”
In the confusion Dunn did not notice that Duncan had not made it out of the house.
“I realized I only had his collar in my hand,” mentioned Dunn. While Dunn tried to return to the house to rescue Duncan, the heat of the fire kept him out.
“After [the fire] the fire fighters found him curled up in my bed,” said Dunn. “That’s where he would go when he was scared.”
“I wouldn’t be here talking to you if it wasn’t for him,” said Dunn, his voice breaking.